Howl's Moving Castle
4.9 of 5, readers votes - 80
|Genre:|| fantasy, heroic|
|Annotation:||In the land of Ingary, such things as spells, invisible cloaks, and seven-league boots were everyday things. The Witch of the Waste was another matter.|
After fifty years of quiet, it was rumored that the Witch was about to terrorize the country again. So when a moving black castle, blowing dark smoke from its four thin turrets, appeared on the horizon, everyone thought it was the Witch. The castle, however, belonged to Wizard Howl, who, it was said, liked to suck the souls of young girls.
The Hatter sisters—Sophie, Lettie, and Martha—and all the other girls were warned not to venture into the streets alone. But that was only the beginning.
In this giant jigsaw puzzle of a fantasy, people and things are never quite what they seem. Destinies are intertwined, identities exchanged, lovers confused. The Witch has placed a spell on Howl. Does the clue to breaking it lie in a famous poem? And what will happen to Sophie Hatter when she enters Howl's castle?
Diana Wynne Jones's entrancing fantasy is filled with surprises at every turn, but when the final stormy duel between the Witch and the Wizard is finished, all the pieces fall magically into place.
|Table of Contents:
hide Table of Contents
- Diana Wynne Jones Howls Moving Castle
- 1: In which Sophie talks to hats
- 2: in which sophie is compelled to seek her fortune.
- 3: In which Sophie enters into a castle and a bargain
- 4: In which Sophie discovers several strange things
- 5: Which is far too full of washing
- 6: In which Howl expresses his feelings with green slime
- 7: In which a scarecrow prevents Sophie from leaving the castle
- 8: In which Sophie leaves the castle in several directions at once
- 9: In which Michael has trouble with a spell
- 10: In which Calcifer promises Sophie a hint
- 11: In which Howl goes to a strange country in search of a spell
- 12: In which Sophie becomes Howl ’ s old mother
- 13: In which Sophie blackens Howl ’ s name
- 14: In which a Royal Wizard catches a cold
- 15: In which Howl goes to a funeral in disguise
- 16: In which there is a great deal of witchcraft
- 17: In which the moving castle moves house
- 18: In which the scarecrow and Miss Angorian reappear
- 19: In which Sophie expresses her feelings with weed-killer
- 20: In which Sophie finds further difficulties in leaving the castle
- 21: In which a contract is concluded before witnesses